On May 20th, 1988 the Taku Glacier Lodge became 1 of 23 Juneau locations listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This official list contains historic places worthy of preservation around the country. It was authorized in 1966 by the National Historic Preservation Act and is overseen by the National Park Service. This national program aims, “to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources.”
Originally named the Twin Glacier Camp, the Taku Glacier Lodge was built in the 1920’s and is one of the few surviving camps of that time period. The camp consists of 15 buildings, with almost half being built in the first ten years of the camp’s existence. Originally built as one of Alaska’s first hunting and fishing lodges available for overnight guests, it became a private camp in 1930. The lodge gained notoriety in 1936 after Mary Joyce successfully completed a 1,000-mile dogsled journey from Juneau to Fairbanks. (Learn more about this incredible story in next month’s What’s Happening).
Sharing this remote and authentic lodge each summer began in 1979. A Juneau couple spent years renovating the Lodge and started offering the Wilderness Salmon Bake & Scenic flight to summer visitors. Today that same magic is shared as our Taku Glacier Flight & Feast tour. We are honored to preserve and also to share a part of Alaskan history with all who visit!